Local Business and Politics: Stories and Happenings

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Buzz about Biz

Hey look!  They're on Facebook!
Today I went to TWO grand openings in Lompoc.  TWO new businesses, in one day - BOOM.  I think this is a Big Deal for my little hometown.

I heard about these businesses on Facebook.  (Business owners: if you are serious about reaching your customers, you need to be on Facebook. Go ahead and secretly believe it's the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard of - but that shouldn't stop you from jumping on board.)

First, I stopped by The Coveted Closet, which is on H ST, in the Albertsons shopping center (between Albertsons and the old Mervyns).  It's a classy-looking shop.  The focus is on juniors; the vibe is young and fresh.  Prices are good.

Then I went to the new Pool Lounge on E. Ocean (same strip center as the Budget Cafe).  I chatted with the friendly owner, Cliff, and admired the beautiful pool tables.  He has applied for a liquor license (beer only) but will be open to kids as well, age 14 and up.  A place for teens to hang out!

Lots of folks excited about playing pool in the Poke.

Cliff is old school.  Doesn't know about social media, and doesn't take credit cards.  Sigh.  Still, I heard about his business on Facebook.  The grand opening was posted by a good citizen who wanted to help him get the word out.

What I've noticed, hanging out on the local forums, is that many of us are hungry for Biz Buzz.  We want to talk about it. We want to know: what's happening where?

"What's going in the old Mervyns?"

"We should have a bowling alley in town!"

"We need a good steakhouse!"

"When are we going to get a [insert your favorite chain restuaurant or store here]?"

I'm a small business owner in Lompoc who wants more and better biz buzz.  Case in point: I want to know more about these two new businesses.  Who are the owners?  What are their stories?

If you want biz buzz too - if you want to know what's happening where - if you want news and in-depth stories about Lompoc business, subscribe to this blog via the email subscription link, so you'll know when I put up another Buzz. 

Click here to read my next post; find out what two other businesses I learned about on Facebook.